Saturday, January 16, 2010

FIRED AND HIRED...

FIRED AND HIRED !

 

"Telephone is switched off," is a message we get very often these days.  To me, this message has some other import.  When I receive such a message from a cell phone of a 'new generation' company executive or manager, often I presume that he has left the services of the company. 

 

He may be "out of range" for some days.  Afterwards I may receive a terse message sometimes noting the new cell phone number. It means, he has joined a new job. 

 

From somewhere he is fired.  Elsewhere he is hired.   

.

When a cell phone goes on ringing and is not attended repeatedly,  there is a tacit message in store for me.  Is it the herald of another announcement…

 

An imminent danger of 'fire' is then smelt. With a fair degree of accuracy there is the forecast that the services of the concerned person are switched off…

.

One day I was making my usual telephone call to an insurance office.  I was told from the other end, she was leaving that job. She requested for my help for a new placement.

 

I said, I didn't know anybody.  But I promised to do something.

 

I talked to a friend of mine.  He was the president and chief executive officer of a reliable general insurance company.  I 'listened' to a 'pause' when I talked to my friend.  Maybe that he didn't deal with such matters directly.  It was his suggestion I talk to his regional chief.

 

I knew the regional chief personally but I didn't want to talk to him.

 

The job aspirant was a smart girl.  She had in the meantime  directly approached the local branch centre of the company and secured the job without anybody's intervention.

.

 

A couple of weeks elapsed. 

 

I received an invitation from the reliable general insurance company.  The occasion was the inauguration of the branch centre.  Inauguration was by the president and chief executive officer of the company.

 

He came by a morning flight from Mumbai for the inauguration. 

 

After the inauguration ceremony I introduced to him the new employee working in his office. 

 

The regional head of the company was also with the chief when I introduced the employee.

 

"She is Ms. so and so," I told my friend.  "It was for her sake I had talked to you," I told him.

 

My friend only smiled. 

 

But his regional head overheard my talk.  Suddenly he rose to the occasion.  Promptly seized the opportunity. 

 

He was in a mood to please his chief.

 

So he made the announcement: "yes, yes….I did it".

 

I could not help wondering how he had done it. That was the aggressiveness of a marketing man!  

 

One thing my dignitary friend did know.  It was that I had only made a casual reference to him of a person seeking a job.  No name or any other details were ever given to him. I didn't also meet or talk to his regional chief any time. Then how is it that he made this appointment!

 

The fact was that this girl had secured the job on her own. Nobody else had really intervened. 

 

She got this job. After a couple of months she left the job also on her own only to join another new generation company!

 

….

 

When I heard the claim of the regional chief, I remembered a girl who had come to attend an interview in my office.

 

Then she stayed at my place. Attended the interview.  She got the job purely on her own merits. 

 

But she sincerely believed that she got the job because of my efforts. 

 

For many years thereafter she used to come to my place with sweets.

 

***


 


 





http://windows.microsoft.com/shop Find the right PC for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment